Sunday, September 18, 2011

sea legs

Apparently I'm starting to have some weird pregnancy symptoms. When I woke up this morning I thought my left leg felt a little numb, but I wrote it off to it just having slept on it wrong and figured it would go away within a few minutes. I didn't really think about it again until I was up in his room and was itching my leg, and realized it was still a little numb. Not like whole leg from top to bottom numb, just a section of my outer left thigh. Weird. I'm pretty sure it's pregnancy related, and they're just going to tell me "it's normal, as long as you're not in pain, there's nothing we can do about it." I'll keep you posted on the actual response. I have an appointment on Tuesday anyway, so I'll just ask then. But, my guess is, my growing baby/uterus is sitting on a nerve somewhere. Bummer. I really dislike the numb feeling, but I can't really notice it unless I'm touching it. I also feel like something needs to be cracked in my lower back. Anyone who knows me, knows I crack every joint that can be cracked in the human body. Well most everything. I know this is not a good thing, but it's a habit, and it feels so good. So I'm wondering if this has something to do with the numbness thing...may see if the doc will refer me to a chiropractor - I've never been to one, but seems appropriate in this situation. That, and Jason is not well enough to be able to lift me up to crack my back like he used to :) I just hope it doesn't turn painful, because that would be a bummer for the next 16 weeks.

Anyway, besides that, Jason and I had a fabulous day in my opinion. We went over to Building 62 for lunch which wasn't that exciting because it's Sunday so no one was there and the food was blah. But, it was better than hospital food or pizza. And, Jason doesn't have his meal card yet since he's still inpatient, and the lady decided to give it to us for free. That was a nice break. You'd think in a government facility that food would be cheap - it isn't. She told me not to go around telling everyone we got our lunch for free. So, if the Army is reading this, don't get her in trouble! ha ha.

After lunch we sat outside for a couple hours. They have these big cushiony lounge chairs, and the weather was pretty perfect - at least for Jason. He loved how cool and refreshing it was. We sat there for a while, and he called one of the other guys from his unit who's in a similar situation, just in San Antonio. It was so quiet out for some reason. Partly because it was a weekend I'm sure, and there weren't extra people floating around everywhere. It was nice to sit there in the peace and quiet and just talk about things.

We were going to go back in for dinner but they didn't really change the food selection so he decided he didn't want to eat there again. We went to the shopette instead and got dinner from the frozen foods aisle. Ha. But then when we returned to the floor, they had brought burritos for everyone so we ate those instead. And watched Forrest Gump.

We kind of have a night time routine now. It's really gross. I sit at the end of the bed and pick all the dead skin off his left food that I can, clean the dirt out of his toenails, slather lotion on his foot and then cover it with a sock to try to get rid of the insane amount of dry skin he's got going on. I massage it a little because it's still swollen since he's not on it that much yet. Then, we play gorilla, and pick scabs. I realize this is disgusting. But I quite enjoy it. He's got a ton of scabs on his 'residual limb' from where the sutures were taken out, and right along the incision too. Don't worry, we're allowed to pick them off, as long as they're ready to come off. In fact, they tell us it's good for the skin underneath...you only have to tell me once :)

Currently watching Dr. Drew's special 'Teen Dads' - puhhh leaseeee. I am such a sucker for this show. I swear, Catelynn and Tyler are like 30 year olds. Tyler impresses me so much - the things he says are so wise, and seeing that glimpse of how he was raised, it's just amazing that they were able to make the decisions they did. Just impressive. He'll go far, for sure. At least I hope he does. That was such a random side note. But, it also makes me so grateful for the relationship that Jason and I have since we're about to bring a human in to this world.

And speaking of our relationship - I have to say, I still don't deserve him. Last night, we were laying in the hospital bed - which is close to impossible - and I accidentally knocked his hand - the one that gives him problems. Immediately I knew I had hit it, and got so scared that I had hurt him. He put his grimace face on and took a few moments to himself. I was just thinking - If that had been me, I would've yelled and screamed and got so mad - he just whispered "just try to be more aware of your surroundings next time". Really? That's it?! Just hope I can remember that tolerance when the roles are reversed.

Jason's favorite line from Forrest Gump:
"I thought I'd try out my sea legs, Forrest"
"But LT Dan, you ain't got no legs..."
"Yes Forrest, I know that."

No comments: