Tuesday, August 30, 2011

finally...

We have WiFi in the room - so here I sit, at a much more decent hour, writing this post. Trying to find MTV on this stupid TV so we can watch Teen Mom :)

We had a good day today, it was nice that it was just Jason and I for most of the day, although it didn't start until noon. I had to go to a transfer in OB class, which of course my name wasn't on the list, and I couldn't remember who called me to tell me to come today. And of course they gave me attitude about it. I wanted to SCREAM "my husband just had his leg blown off, i was not paying attention to who told me to come today!!! just let me in for the love of God!!!" I know, that excuse is probably getting old. But she did let me in. And of course I got to fill out more paperwork, and listen to all the dumb questions these girls had. When they tell you 'there are no dumb questions' they're wrong. These girls...oh my. I've always said I think there should be an application process in order to have children. This woman was literally walking us through filling out the paper work - step by step - and they couldn't even follow those directions. And yes, we are breastfeeding friendly, so if you can't or don't want to breastfeed then I guess your baby will starve. Ok, I'm irritable today.

Anyway, this whole process took 3 hours - fill out paperwork, learn about all the classes offered, take a tour, then go to appointment. All is well, heartbeat in the 140's, fundal height measuring at 21 weeks, which is right on, and so far, about an 8lb weight gain. Bleh.

So, by the time I made it up to Jason, it was noon, and we were both starving because neither of us had eaten. I'm going to get the night nurse to call his breakfast order down before I leave, because he won't wake up in time to do it, and then they bring him the pills, and he throws up if he doesn't eat first. They started the call down and order on your own time thing yesterday - good idea, but there are so many people in and out, or he has to go downstairs for various things, the time quickly passes, and then it's too late. Tonight, we did order dinner, and it was surprisingly good - we ordered enough for both of us to eat...haha working the system. But for lunch, we were going to go to Subway which is in the hospital - but it was also the crazy lunch rush, it was packed, and so was the DFAC, so we said eff it, let's blow this joint and go to McDonalds. And we did. Which technically isn't in the hospital, but no one really ever told us we can't leave leave, haha, and I know better, but it's just across the street a little bit! It was nice for him to get the fresh air, and there were wheelchair ramps all the way down. But we are so tired of McDonald's! It's so funny because when he was deployed that's all he wanted, was a double quarter pounder with cheese no pickles - and now he's so over them. Although he's never gotten back up to the double quarter pounder, he's still working on the regular quarter pounder :) Goals.

Then we stopped by and I pre-registered for admission, then we went and bought the Army Times and went up to the Red Cross to get some more velcro clothes. Those things are pretty genius. But, by this time, he was exhausted. Falling asleep at the joystick. So we came back and he took a little nappy nap. He also went to PT for the first time before lunch downstairs, so that made it extra exhausting. He said he did some stretching, and semi flutter kicks with some weights on his thighs. He said he was sweating like crazy and was so confused as to why it was so hard. But, he doesn't get that laying in bed for 2 weeks will knock you out - plus your body is trying to heal these massive wounds at the same time. It's hard work!

Overall, an eventful day for us, but probably not for normal folk. Now I have to figure out how to get our dog up here for a visit, and my car.

No luck on the MTV, bummer.

I'm thinking tomorrow we'll tackle hair washing. Hmmm...doing big things here in Bethesda!

1 comment:

Jess Payne said...

Stephanie I thoroughly enjoy reading your blog, I have to admit I'm pretty much addicted. It's like a good book that I can't put down. You're an excellent writer and I fall right into each scenario you put into this blog. Not saying that I'm getting enjoyment out of your trials and struggles, but I do get joy out of reading how you are gracefully coping with them. You are such a good woman, and stronger then most!! I've been praying for Jason's speedy recovery and a healthy, happy pregnancy for you. You're golden, and you and Jason are lucky to have each other :)