Tuesday, August 16, 2011

August 15, 2011

I woke up at 0600, all by myself. Was determined to get to the OB Clinic on Post by 0700 to catch my Doctor before he started seeing patients. Well, apparently he doesn't get there till 0800. So I go upstairs to see all my coworkers. Of course everyone is very supportive and have lots of questions. Go through my speal for about the 40th time, feeling very emotionless at this point. Fill out my time card. Realize I need to recertify in NRP before October. Go back downstairs and get in touch with my most favorite doctor ever. Does a quick ultrasound, baby's heartbeat still strong. No, Dr. Clark, no bleeding or cramping. I know what to look for. I am stressed - but I think I'm still internalizing it. He looks up his colleagues in the military system at Bethesda and gives me their names. Just hands me a copy of my medical records (I don't think it's usually that easy) and tells me to go to the walk in clinic at Bethesda next week for my 20 week US. Go back upstairs to finish up things there. A former coworker calls the floor asking for my phone number, and I happen to be sitting right there. She used to work in Germany at Landsthul where he is a patient now. She got some inside information - her friends had received his paperwork the night before, and he is going to the unit she used to work on :) She tells everyone to look out for him. They messaged her again today and said he arrived in the morning, got evaluated, x-rayed, and was currently back in the OR (for the 3rd time) for a surgical wash out. Where they basically sedate him and power wash his wounds. Ugh. So then the head of the department I work for calls me, and says she's been in contact with someone at Landsthul also, and that his name wasn't on the manifest yet, but she would let me know when it was. But that from his notes, he looks extremely stable, and they're very pleased with his progress. She also has been able to squeeze me in at a clinic up north for my 20 week ultrasound a tad early. I then get a call from his mom, who has a number to the nurses station there. I try to figure out how to call it from the hospital phones since I know they can dial out of country. After about 45 minutes of arguing with these people, I finally get through - to 10 delta - the unit he's on. They transfer me to his room, and he answers. Still groggy, and sounding very down, in my opinion. Still cracking jokes, but still down.

"I feel like I've failed them, failed my guys. Now they have no squad leader."

"I'm scared that our baby is going to think I'm a freak, I won't have a leg, and I have scars everywhere."

"I'm really going to need you when I get home."

I ask if he's eaten anything, yes, "a cup of jello" - so I ask him if bringing him a double quarter pounder with cheese no pickles is a bad idea when I see him, he says "You might want to rethink that." As in - "you better have a double quarter pounder with cheese no pickles when you come see me" :) He tells me he thinks he's on the manifest to leave on Tuesday - what?! That's way sooner than I expected. He starts falling asleep on the phone. Which I hate, I want to hear his voice longer. So we hang up.

Hopefully next time I talk to him, it will be in person.

So finally, after 5 hours at work, when I only intended on being there for 1, I leave. I have to rush home, let the dog out, take a shower, and head up north for the Ultrasound appointment. Get there just in time, get all the measurements done - baby is in 56 percentile, has all his pieces and parts, and is still in fact, a boy. Placenta, fluid, and cervix all look good, and baby was somewhat uncooperative. :)

Go to hair appointment where I get another call from the CPT F, who tells me everything I already know because I'm that badass :) But he does confirm that my husband is on the manifest to leave Germany on Tuesday - yikes! So this means I could be leaving by Wednesday! Ah! Call mom, get dad a ticket for tomorrow! So he's supposed to be here tomorrow night at 10pm. CPT F confirms that my husband is going to be at Bethesda - they did have him scheduled for San Antonio - thank goodness CPT F fixed that real quick! Now I really have a lot to do - and that's ok, it will make it go faster :)

Since I'm up north - stop by the Verizon store on a whim - see if I can get husbands number reactivated - yes! I got him a brand new iPhone4, and I so hope it will make him as excited as I was :) He can put all his music on there since I know his is still in Afghanistan. I will try to get all his music on before I go home.

Now start back down south, get pedicure - hey, important things here - need to look good for husband. Got orange glitter nail polish - it's fun :)

Go home, Katelyn brings me dinner, and sits and talks with me for a while, which is wonderful. I will miss her :(

Now here I sit - thinking about all the things I should pack. Making list after list after list. Making sure I'm still feeling baby move in the midst of all this...

No comments: