Monday, August 29, 2011

decent hour

I tried to get back to the room and in bed at a decent hour - but always seems to be right around midnight. Which is normally fine, but tomorrow I have to get up early like normal people do because I have an OB appointment. I don't think it's a real appointment, because in the military you always have to go to the 'fake' appointment first and then you get to make your real appointment. Seriously. I have to go to a 'transfer in' class type thing since I'm transferring care to this hospital. Fabulous. So that's at 0900! Yikes. I haven't gotten out of bed before 9 in a long time. Woe is me, right?!

Anyway, I think they're finally getting wireless hooked up on his floor, so maybe I'll be able to write these posts a little earlier in the evening. We had to move rooms again today, I was pissed. It was just starting to feel a little cozy, and they made us move because they needed the video monitoring capabilities the room he was in had. We just moved across the hall - and the room feels like Antarctica which he loves, but we lost our good view. And it's a negative pressure room, so the door slams every damn time someone comes in and out which is annoying. Can't win them all I guess.

Had a visit from the RearD Commander and a retired Colonel that's the honorary Colonel of his brigade (?!) I'm not really sure how that works...either way, we talked to them for a bit.

Sounds pretty promising that we'll be assigned here once he's discharged to outpatient so all our stuff will be able to be moved out here eventually. I'm thinking it won't be until early October at this point. The skin grafts are taking forever.

He had surgery today, mostly just wound wash outs. The wound vac on his left leg was replaced, and also on his fingers, but also they put another layer of integra down on his fingers, and hopefully this takes so that two weeks from today, he'll get the skin grafts on his fingers. Hopefully skin graft on his leg this Friday! And, the leg surgeon (my favorite) said he'd send me all the pictures! How awesome :)

We ate a shoppette dinner tonight. It was romantic. I went down to the gas station and got frozen chicken nuggets and mac and cheese to make up in his room. Also got lots of unnecessary snacks, candy, and drinks! It was healthy, to say the least. But, they started this new thing where you call down to order your food - and we had visitors right around dinner time, and by the time they left, the DFAC (or galley since we're in a Navy Facility) was closed.

We played Words with Friends for a while, and gave up on watching TV because it's satellite and turns off about every 3 minutes. For Real. No DVD player yet either.

He's gone through a lot of morphine today, and it kinda weirds me out, it just sounds like a lot, but they also took out his nerve block and he had surgery today, so I'm hoping that was all part of the increased pain. It's mostly in his left arm, which is where the nerve block was going. So this is the first time he's felt his arm since it happened - I think. I'm not sure when he got it, but he's had it since he's been in Bethesda at least. I remember talking to him in Germany and him saying his arm was numb, so it could've been even earlier. Either way, he'll need to get that arm back eventually. The tubes are coming out slowly but surely. The last two will be here for a while, the wound vacs. He's nervous about the pain of skin grafting, more on the donor site than on the actual wound.

"If it wasn't for you, I'd probably be in a lot more pain" he says. Well that's because I hound the nurses about his PRN medications - which he always forgets about. And he does sleep through the pain even though a lot of nurses assume that because you're asleep, you're not in pain. So I told him he has to call them if he's in pain! He hates calling the nurses. When I got there today, he had been holding his pee for who knows how long because he wanted the curtain closed! Really?! Men.

Overall good day, just getting tired. I have been able to lay with him, but it's never for very long because people are in and out all day long, or he needs something. Some days I just wish it could just be me and him ALL DAY! I never thought that's what I'd be wishing for, but it is. We do enjoy others company though, so I guess it's a catch-22. It's just tiring sometimes to entertain guests, even though we're not really doing anything.

It still sucks. I still can't believe this is where I'm living, and this is how I spend my days now. I still don't know when I'll be able to sleep next to my husband again. However, it is quickly becoming my new normal. But then again, when you have no choice, it's amazing how fast anything can become normal.

No comments: