Monday, April 2, 2012

Packing

I'm taking a break from packing to write this. That's right, packing. As in, we're going back so soon we can taste it! Let me remind you, I came here 8 months ago, with 2 big suitcases, and that was it. (So big, I argued with the man at the ticket counter that I was on government orders and should not have to pay the baggage fees. He could tell I was in a frenzy, and pulled me aside to tell me they would definitely charge me on my flight back, but waived the fees for that day. Little did he know I would not be flying back for another 8 months!) It's amazing how much you accumulate. And now we have to add all of our accumulated stuff to a house already full of stuff!! Stress.

Of course, as with everything in the Army, nothing is for sure until it's happening. But everything has been approved, he's just waiting on official orders, which should come later this week. Then he has to out process and clear this base. I'm officially not on orders anymore, so they don't care what I do! The 'official' date is April 22nd for his return. I'm not sure what the timeline is though, when he will actually leave here and start the trip back. We're pretty sure he's going to drive by himself, with the U-Haul trailer (because that's how much stuff we've accumulated) and Sadie, and I'm going to fly in once they get back and can pick me up. I worry about him driving alone, but he knows his limits, and unlike my father, doesn't mind spending money on a hotel room when he's tired.

So, instead of the 'when are we going to get the hell out of here' worry, now I'm worrying about what life will be like when we get back. So many things to do, to catch up on, etc. Sadie will need a vet visit that I'm sure won't be cheap with all the immunizations, and heart worm tests. They'll probably tell us she's a little overweight, too. The yard will probably need a lot of attention, and I hope the weeds haven't gotten out of control yet this year like they had last summer. I ended up paying someone come take care of it all for me because I didn't feel like dealing with it since I had let them get so bad. Jason will have to order new windows for his Jeep before we trade it in, and we'll have to figure out how the VA Grant works - I have a feeling that won't be a smooth process. I want to put ceiling fans in all the rooms of the house - Jason seems to think he'll be fine this summer with the window units. We only have two, one downstairs, and one upstairs in our bedroom, and then the house has forced air, which pushes all the cold air around the house. Sounds like a great idea except that those window units don't cool the whole house down that much. I tolerated it, but it was still warm for me. I know he'll be sweating all summer. We're talking about a man who has worn shorts all winter because his leg makes him so hot, a man who has also gained a bit of weight, and now, just walking to the car, he breaks in to a sweat. He's not going to like it. And I'm probably not going to enjoy sleeping next to a sweaty man all night :) So, ceiling fans it is.

And I have to figure out what to do about work because we didn't win the Mega Millions. Blah.

We're thinking of going to England this summer. We've been wanting to go, but he knows how important it is for me to get to the beach each summer. Since we're going next week (to the beach), I said we should try to go to England this year. Cooper will fly for free for 2 years, but who wants to fly overseas with a one and a half year old if we wait until next summer. That will mean a passport for him, too. Add that to the list.

We're in such a bubble here. We walk around here and everyone is like us, going through the same things, if not much more. I'm worried that when we return, we'll have to start all over. New people to explain our situation to, new doctors to figure out or not figure out what's wrong with him, new people to stare at us since this is not as common outside of our bubble. Our life stopped when this happened, we had to put it on hold. Everyone else's life continued on. So sometimes I feel like people have forgotten that we're still on hold, and it's still going to be a big adjustment to move back and get back in to the normal swing of life again. I feel like some expect us to just jump back in to things right where we left off. Now, I don't want to keep making excuses for myself and us, but we're definitely still going to need time even when we get back in to the swing of things.

Insanity - we're doing it when we get back, too. I can make myself fit in to my summer clothes, but I become one of those women who you say "ugh, she should not be wearing that", and so I only wear athletic shorts. I refuse to buy more clothes, I have way too many already. So, we're doing Insanity until I fit in my clothes again.

My little boy is feverishly sucking on his fist, "I'm starving, Mom. Duh. I only fit in to 6 month clothes at 3 months!" So this blog will end here, and I will resume packing, and being a mommy. Next week, he'll officially be 3 months old, so keep a look out for my note to him!

No comments: