Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Veteran's Day.

So, I just realized how unappreciative I have been today.

I was reading Melissa's blog, and I'm going to steal all of her ideas now. So, thank you in advance, I hope you don't mind!




Nicholas Conan Mason (12.21.04)

First of all, we all know how this affected our small town of King George. What a sad, sad day that was. And I still remember thinking "nah, it's not Nick, that would never happen..." But, almost 4 years later, I still have his silver fallen hero bracelet...it's scratched, and bent all out of proportion, but always worn with pride and joy - especially when I get to explain it to others, and I wouldn't have it any other way...

Sgt. Searles
OIF 2005-2006
OIF 2008-2009 (currently)

Not many 22 year olds can say they have completed 4 tours in Iraq...(a tour is 6 months)
But he will be able to.

He often says he is just stuck in a 22 year old body, but feels like he's 40. I always brush it off. But, I've never experienced the things he has, nor have I seen the things he has, that I know he will never forget.

From what I understand, his first deployment was awful. A lot of "action". Not this current one. He is tired. Just plain bored. Not much going on where they are, and they've moved once already.

I mean, could you imagine?
- Being dirty ALL THE TIME...and there's no point in showering every day because you'd just get dirty 10 minutes later...
- Carrying a plastic bag to the 'bathroom' with you to poop in, only to tie it up and carry it out with you?
- pulling all nighters just to talk to the one you love, only to have to go straight in to a mission on no sleep (there's an 8 hour time difference)
- sleeping in a sleeping bag. (that in itself would drive me crazy, they always get twisted up and end up at the bottom of the bed)
- sleeping in the same clothes you wake up in, go to the gym in, and then go BACK to sleep in...
- no ginger ale when you get a stomach bug. no one to make you feel better, not even a nice bathroom to keel over in...
- being with the same people day in and day out (i guess it's like marriage, except for you don't necessarily love those people in that way...haha)
- what I'm getting at is, the high stress situation + people you may not really like = misery.
- a time limit to even get to talk to those you love ("NUMBER 14, YOUR TIME IS UP" or "You have 3 minutes of call time remaining" - I am so tired of hearing that)

Well, I couldn't live like that. I'd be utterly miserable, and I'd probably make everyone around me miserable too!

So, that is why I am so proud of Jason. He endures the monotony and bullshit every single day, and has before. He puts his life on the line every time they go out on missions, and who knows, maybe just by being there period. He doesn't think a thing about it either. He's so humble, and gracious, and thoughtful, even in Iraq.

Bravo Company
1st Platoon
2nd Squad

I feel like I know a lot of these guys, even though I don't. But he talks about them all the time. And from what I hear, he talks about me to them all the time. I think they love it! But I try to send them fun stuff. Just recently, he requested Oreos. And boy did I send him Oreos. 6 packs to be exact, every single type they make.

Yes, they're bad for you. But when you have dust for dinner, what's the harm in 80 oreos?


And who can resist a man in uniform? Especially when he is this cute?!
I mean, really...
I LOVE YOU!

HAPPY VETERANS DAY!

(i'm proud of all you guys!)

3 comments:

melissa ellen parker said...

that was really sweet Stephanie - and really true!

Thanks for the sweet comment over @ my place

Jason.... said...

Tears......

Mrs. Norris said...

I was bored and just clicking away randomly and came across this blog post. Look at you guys now. I can't imagine how hard and difficult it must be to go through what ya'll are going through. But you inspire others to stay strong, even if you don't realize it.