Sunday, March 18, 2012

updates

A few things I meant to add to your two month entry...

Oh dear Cooper, you make Mommy's heart swell!

You really hate the wind in your face. Every time we go outside, even if you're sound asleep, you wake up stunned when the wind hits your face. You purse your lips, and suck in your breath really fast as if you can't breathe because of the wind. At first, when you were even younger, you would do this and then cry bloody murder because you were holding your breath, and you didn't like that. Mommy didn't like it either. As you got a little older, I would just tell you "It's okay sweet boy, you can breathe!" Now, you seem to do okay with it, but sometimes it still catches you off guard. Your daddy and I laugh, although I'm sure you don't find it too funny :)

Tonight, I noticed you started bringing your fists to your face as if you were looking at them. Before, you would use your hands to swat your toys, but tonight it seemed as though you were purposely bringing your hands to your toys and then to your face to inspect those new tools. Mommy loves watching you learn new things.

You love reading stories, and looking at the pictures. You coo right along with me as I read to you, as if you're trying to read too :) I love hearing your sweet voice.

Your hair seems to be getting darker, which is weird because your parents were convinced you would be platinum blonde or bald from the get go!

You really are the cutest baby we've ever seen, and we tell you that at least 50 times a day. Mommy loves you!

--

Jason's mystery rash is starting to go away. We're starting week three of Prednisone, and he still itches in the morning and at night which is a little worrisome. He will probably go back to the dermatologist this week just to be sure it's not going to return after he's done with the steroid.

He got his running leg this past week, and was so excited. He shops for legs and accessories for legs on the internet like I shop for baby clothes. I told him I see his leg as an accessory now, because I'm so used to it. Others are still not used to it as evidenced by the completely obvious family of five in the restaurant we at for lunch today. They were at a round table, so half the family had their backs to us, and the half facing us walking in did the stare and obviously talk about us and look away thing. The rest of the family then turned and looked him up and down, turned back, and talked about him some more. I witnessed the whole thing, and I was just so fed up with it that I just stared them down. I made eye contact with the man in the family and was talking to my friends "I don't know what they keep staring at." So hopefully he figured out I was pissed, and that he and his whole family were being rude. I understand people are curious, but ugh. I thought I was over the staring, but obviously not. I bet after years of it, I will become a grumpy old lady and probably start saying the things I'm thinking to all the strangers. Ha! Watch out!

About a month ago, I entered us in a photo contest that a photographer from Colorado Springs was doing. It was a military photo contest, and a friend of mine encouraged me to enter. I had no idea it would turn in to what it did. After seeing the photo I (and another family who has been enduring the same thing we have) entered, some people chose to drop out of the contest because they felt we deserved to win. Winning included a free photo session and all the photos on a disc. In the end, the other family technically won, but the photographer decided that she wanted to do a session for us, too. We were flattered, and excited. She then started a fundraiser to raise money to fly all the way here to DC and take our pictures. She will also go to San Antonio and take the other families pictures. We did that this past week also. We spent the better part of a gorgeous day walking around DC, and it was so fun. We took Cooper on the Metro for the first time, and started at the Cannon building, then went to the Capital. We went to the Washington Monument, and then ended with the Jefferson Memorial at sunset. The pictures turned out fabulously, and we feel so honored to have had that opportunity. Now we will have some really patriotic and meaningful pictures to remind us of our time here while he was healing.

We have been continuing to pack on the pounds at Restaurant de Lauren (a childhood friend of mine who insists on cooking us ridiculous amounts of delicious food every week). We visited a Brazilian Steakhouse, and Jason was in heaven with the 17 different cuts of meat being brought to him all night. Seriously. When we get back to Colorado, we're working.out.

Well, it's spring time. You know what that means.

Reese's Peanut Butter Eggs.

Good night :)

3 comments:

EO said...

Stephanie -

I enjoyed meeting Cooper and Jason last week. I am happy for your wonderful life with both of them.

Take care -
Edwina O'Toole

Callie Riesling said...

Stephanie,

I am putting together a portion of my website so that I can continue doing Snapshots for Soldiers for many other families like you guys.... so again I was facebook stalking you :P and stumbled upon your blog. I am SO happy that our photo session had this effect on you guys. :) It was my pleasure and because of the joy it brought you guys, I have been inspired to help as many families as possible. Thank you guys again. You were the first submission in the contest... you started this whole thing. Thank you. You guys are truly my heroes and I look forward to photographing as many families like yours as possible. Thank you guys again for the sacrifice and inspiring this whole thing. I hope it turns out to be something great.

Thank you Both and God Bless,

Callie Riesling

Simply Sara said...

Resteraunt De Lauren, lol...I want too!!!

Sara