Thursday, January 5, 2012

Oh, Baby...

Disclaimer: This post is very personal and slightly graphic :)

I'm writing now, because I think this little boy is coming soon. Very soon. I'm not in active labor at the moment, but I did have a doctors appointment today. I am 3cm dilated and 80% effaced. TMI: I think he stirred something up in there, because when I went to the bathroom before preparing to write this blog, I noticed a little ahem something in the toilet.

Even being a nurse that works in this field, I have no idea what to expect. Everyone has such different pregnancies. At this point, I'm not worried since we're two days away from the due date. The tech took my vitals today, and then came back and said "He wants to know if you've scheduled your induction." Uh, no. Why do people think that I want to be induced?! He was convinced we'd have to schedule one, until he checked me and found that I was already 3cm. He then went on to say that I was lucky, that it can take some people days to get as far as I am, in active labor. So, happy about that, but when is he coming?? Do we have time to go to the grocery store? I'm not contracting, and I'm not in any pain. I think the uncomfortableness I've been feeling in my pelivs is his head coming down. I guess I was expecting a different kind of pressure. When I walk it feels like my hips are going to come out of their sockets, and I can't lay with my legs bent like I used to, I think the ligaments are stretching.

I don't want to call anyone because I don't want them to tell me to go in to the hospital. I'm not contracting, and they'd likely want to give me pitocin. My water hasn't broken, and nothing is bright red and gushing, so I think for now I'll just monitor it and play it by ear. Nurses make the worst patients.

Jason on the other hand, is freaking out a tad. He thinks this process is "stupid". "What do we do? Just sit here and..." (he proceeds to sit down and twiddle his thumbs). "Is it going to be 3 hours from now? 3 days from now? Can we still go grocery shopping?!" We googled pictures of bloody show and the mucus plug, he almost puked. I hope that's not an indicator of his role in the delivery room. I'm pretty sure he'll be great, but you just never know. I just can't believe teenagers can do this!

I did have a nightmare last night that I had to have a C-Section, and I was super depressed afterwards. Let's just hope that doesn't have to happen.

Our bags are packed, camera battery is charged, we have a list of who to call when we go, and all his stuff has been set up for a while. I'm contemplating writing a birth plan, although I can't call it that because I think it's bad luck. I just don't know what condition I'll be in when I get to the hospital, so if I can't speak words, I'd want them to know what we want to do. Don't worry, we don't have any crazy requests, but I'm sure we'll still piss someone off for wanting to do it a different way :) It's a good thing we came back up here when we did, though.

So, I will probably not blog for a little while. And when I do, I'll probably put my birth story on here. It will likely be graphic and very personal, so if you don't want to know all the details about birth, I'll warn you now, not to read it!

I think we're off to the grocery store, because if we don't go now, and I go in to labor, I know I'm going to be mad that we didn't go sooner. And maybe it will make me go in to labor :) We'll see...

3 comments:

Wife of a Wounded Soldier said...

Good luck! I am looking forward to reading your experience as I feel it's something people don't really talk about. Also I want to see pics of your new little bundle of joy!

Sgt. Pepper said...

Good luck and early congrats! I'm glad to hear that even nurses in 'that field', as you say, want to do things a little different. Makes me feel better for not wanting to do it their way either. Though I'm not pregnant, nor have I ever been, so who knows what I would want if the day ever came! Looking forward to seeing pics of your baby boy!

Victoria said...

No birth plans! As an L&D nurse, it's asking for a section! Just have a good idea and go with the flow. If you really want or don't want something, speak up about it to the md in front of your nurse- we can only advocate for you when you are willing to advocate for yourself. Trust your body, trust your husband. You're going to be great!