Sunday, February 26, 2012

Plastic Boxes

We're watching the Oscars. Did you? Throws a little change up in our otherwise monotonous life.

We've actually been pretty busy! We were at home last weekend for our nephews first birthday party. Jason reluctantly agreed to get in his uniform and go to the play I wrote about earlier. It was the first time he wore his uniform since he was injured, and the first time he got to wear his new rank of Staff Sergeant. The standard issue boots were way too bulky, and he couldn't drive because he said they were way too heavy. He's got lightweight ones in his personal belongings back in Colorado, so hopefully those will be better. It was like wrestling an alligator to get it on and off that fake foot though, so hopefully we can figure out an easier way so he won't struggle with it every single day. His mom and her fiance flew in from England to stay with us for the week. They stayed with my mom for the weekend, and then we all drove up to Bethesda for a very eventful week.

We successfully ate out for an entire week. I can't say I'm necessarily proud of that, but it was fun :) We went to Cheesecake Factory, Chick-Fil-A & UNO (in one day), Outback Steakhouse, Ruby Tuesday, Cheesecake Factory (again), and Texas Roadhouse. Phew. We went to Potomac Mills on Tuesday, and it was dead. We had a bit of a shopping spree. Mostly in the Carter's Outlet. Baby clothes are like crack to me. Poor Jason was exhausted after that day, his leg got a work out! We relaxed the next day, and then on Thursday we went to the Zoo. It was a beautiful day! "The sun is in that baby's face! That's bothering him!" says one passerby. I wasn't aware my 6 week old could talk, but when did he tell you that? It looks to me like he's sleeping, and I think a little sunshine is good for him, and oh by the way, I'm the Mommy. Thank you! We went to the National Air & Space Museum by Dulles Airport on Saturday before his mom left. It was really cool, and a nice day out. Cooper did great on all these outings. I fed him right in the middle of Potomac Mills (!), and he was fussy the whole time we were at UNO, but it was pretty dead, so I didn't care. He slept through pretty much everything else we did that week.

Did I mention we both got treatment for thrush, and that helped the breastfeeding pain immensely? Feeding him is now enjoyable, and I don't dread it! Yay. Small victories!

We're coming to the realization that Jason will be in and out of medical care for the rest of his life, which isn't a normal thought for any other 25 year old. It's kind of a bummer. I always nag him to put cocoa butter on his scars, and a couple of weeks ago we started noticing excessively dry skin under his left leg scar. It kind of started looking like a rash the weekend we were home, and with other eyes seeing it, we agreed he should get it checked out. He went to Wound Care who thought it was a fungal skin infection and they put a consult in for Dermatology. Some wonderful guy told him that he lost his leg to a fungal infection...fabulous. Dermatology said it was actually a bacterial skin infection, and gave him antibiotics with instructions to come return if it wasn't better within a week. After a couple of days, we can't decide if it's looking better or not. He's probably going to go to Infectious Disease tomorrow, just to be sure, since last time he had an infection, he lost part of his finger. He's now (and rightfully so) paranoid about losing another limb. He's currently googling pictures of really scary skin diseases & cancers which is only going to freak him out even more. Ugh. I just wish he didn't have to think about this stuff at all. He thinks it's spreading to his arm, and he's terrified of giving it (whatever it is) to Cooper.

So while I was spending money on myself and Cooper at Potomac Mills, Jason kept refusing to shop for anything. Until we came to the Lego store. I twisted his arm, and he told me which set he wanted. He put it together the last two nights, and we now have a Lego Village in our window sill.

(Back Story)
When we were in Colorado, I always bugged him about organizing all his Army gear. I would say "I'm going to go buy you some plastic tubs and you can put it all in there, in the garage." He would get so annoyed with my plastic tub fascination. He hates when I buy them. He attributed it to my being a female. "You females always want to put stuff in plastic tubs." (I hate when he starts a sentence with 'you females'.) He then gave the example that one of his work buddies' wife said the exact same thing to him, too. That just confirmed to me, that it was indeed, a wonderful idea!

(Present Day)
I told mom about his Lego Village. She promptly says "You should get plastic boxes for each of the sets." I said "Jason would scoff at that, but I definitely agree." I actually was already thinking that, but also wondering whether or not it would be worth the explanation. He'd be just as fine with mixing them all together. Gasp!

Still watching the Oscars! Hopefully by the next time I post, we will have solved the leg rash mystery :)

No comments: